FOOD WASTE FACTS & TIPS TO REDUCING YOUR FOOD WASTE AT HOME
Did you know over 1 million tonnes of food is wasted each year? Every household in Ireland is responsible for 117kg of food waste ????. The cost per year to every Household is between €400-€1000. ♻️ ????
How to reduce food waste:
- Ordering exact portions of meals from us will mean no excess waste & no queuing in the supermarkets for ingredients you plan on cooking with but you’re only going to hoard (c’mon we all do it????).
- Don’t over buy – at the beginning of COVID19 a lot of us had a habit of stock piling & for most of us we never used all the food we bought & ended up binning it. Only buy what you need. We always bring a shopping list with us when shopping so you don’t get side tracked.
- Check the date of fresh food when you buy it. A lot of food for example our soups can be frozen if you don’t think you’ll eat them before the use by date.
- Love your freezer: we always use Sunday evenings to batch cook for the week ahead. Even if it means batch cooking for Monday & Tuesday. We might have one of our healthy meals on a Wednesday and Thursday which means less time spent cooking every evening in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead: Decide on some recipes you might like to cook that week & only buy ingredients you need for the recipes you’ve chosen to cook. Otherwise you’ll be left with tins and jars of sauce, beans or meats that you’ve no intention of using.